Search This Blog

Thursday, March 9, 2023

Communication, Preferences, and You and Your Career

What makes you tick? What communication method seems to work best with you? An in-depth Myers-Briggs will help you understand what makes you tick, while a DISC workup will help you understand your communication/personality preferences. Without trying to become PhD candidates, and without analyzing the Myers-Briggs (along with Jung) model, we will focus the remainder of this diatribe on communication preferences and general personality profiles that the DISC method provides.

DISC testing reveals general personality and communication needs. And communication runs in two directions per person – in and out. https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/ has a great outline of what each type prefers. Look at the descriptions and the behaviors. And then consider the following DISC scenarios:

· Low D in a role that needs decision making

· High D in a role that has no input to decisions

· Low C in a role that needs detail oriented work

· High C in a role where no details are needed

· Low I with a project that has you a high amount of leadership attention

· High I in a role with little recognition

· Low S stuck in a group action project

· High S in a role with little or no group action

At this point, keep in mind that how I learned the DISC is a smidge different from what this particular website offers in the way of explanations. While my terminology might be different, the overall flavor is the same.

· D https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/dominance/

· I https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/influence/

· S https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/steadiness/

· C https://www.discprofile.com/what-is-disc/overview/conscientiousness/

Are you in one of these scenarios? Something that resembles one of these? Has this highlighted something that you need to work on? For me, as a DCSI, my D component combined with my C component means that I need to organize myself when doing projects. I like decisions and schedule and moving forward, and I am not as strong on organization. So, I force myself to slow down and ask the customer what THEY want, and tailor my presentation to that. On the organizational skills side, I have proceduralized (is that a word?) doing documentation so that I can do the same thing each time, with the only variation being customizations per project – but I use the same project methodology each time. And documentation per project follows a set path. I think over the years my C has increased, my D has decreased, both of which make me better – more balanced. Where I am lacking in general is the S and I. I tend to shy away from groups and I do not look for attention (believe it or not).

The SI components are clearly where I need to focus development and constant attention for improvement. That means finding some means of including others, and creating recognition for others – because my preferences don’t lean that way, which by extension means that I don’t offer that to others – because I am not wired that way. Hence, I need to recognize that in myself or others that are wired that way will think that I am Mr. Jerk (and who knows, they might well think that anyway no matter what I do). But I can only change myself, there is no changing others.

Do you feel unsatisfied at work? If your projects always have you involved at a level where your preferences are not being met, then you will not be happy – or you could be happier. Have you pondered this at some level? I just had a great discussion with a team member who (very brightly) has clearly looked at some of these aspects and his analyses were spot on with mine – happiness at work has many facets. This team member can clearly identify personal needs, position in the team, what is wanted in life, what the employer is offering, and goals and how they match up with life in general. Mo’ perfect!

Are you not achieving whatever it is that trips your trigger? Can you say that you are that team member previously outlined? If not, then perhaps some time spent watching the paint dry on the nearest wall can give you some insight as to where you are, where you are headed, and how you might be achieving that which you desire in life. I know from personal experience that the happier I am with my lot in life, the better I can serve my customers. Which makes me a better consultant because I am not constantly fighting nature, I am working with it and within it.

What personal development emphasis do you need to foster to move your needs closer to what you get from the workplace? We did DISC tests when the team formed. You all know where you are. How does that match up with the DISC scenarios outlined above? Can you see where your preferences might cause issues or where they might be a strength upon which to build?

What changes would move your employment closer to your native preferences? Knowing that you can only change yourself, you could still be examining what types of project scenarios to which you are better suited. And then ask for assistance in getting those projects. Everyone can and does adjust but getting what you want or need makes the adjustment smaller and makes you happier. But you must figure it out and then ask.

If you need a refresher, take the test again. If you want some help understanding, let me know. In a previous lifetime, I was a certified (yes, I know I am certifiable, but that is different topic) trainer for the DISC process and I could possibly have some insight for you. At the very least we can identify your strong and less strong areas and suggest development avenues for your exploration and exploitation.

YMMV

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Methodology Question

I was halfway out on the 5k when my third brain cell (The Spare) kicked in with a connection between project methods and best practice and h...